Commercial trucks must be careful whenever maneuvering on the road. This is because they are so much larger than passenger vehicles and therefore require more room in order to safely complete a turn. In fact, on average a commercial truck requires a minimum of 55 feet of space to complete a turn. Unfortunately, this need for space often leads to serious accidents with severe injuries.
When a truck driver must complete a wide turn and is involved in an accident with you in the process, it can result in a wide array of injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If a truck making a wide-turn causes you damages, you are entitled to seek compensation from its driver.
Wide-turn accidents are a big problem for commercial vehicles, such as buses, because they are generally 20 to 30 times larger than most passenger vehicles and have a much higher center of gravity. This means that if a commercial truck takes a sharp turn, it can tip over. Wide-turn accidents commonly occur when a passenger vehicle drives next to or too close to the truck while its turning.
If. You have been involved in a wide-turn accident, you may be left wondering what to do. Here are helpful steps to take if you are able.
1. Call the police. By calling the police, you can have emergency vehicles on the scene as soon as possible. The police will also write a police report, which will include things such as evidence of the accident and witness testimony.
2. Seek medical care. When you’ve been involved in a wide-turn accident, you may think that you’re okay. However, no matter how good you feel, it’s imperative that you seek medical care as soon as possible. Not only does this allow any internal injuries to be discovered, but it also creates a written medical record, which can help you to recover damages should you pursue a personal injury claim.
3. Collect evidence. Evidence can make all the difference in your case. Therefore, you should be sure to collect as much of it as possible. This may include things such as medical bills and records, receipts for property damage repairs, lost wages, and more. This can help prove your damages.
4. Keep a written account of your accident and status. Memory fades with time so it’s best to write down what you remember about the accident in detail. Additionally, you may want to write down your mental, physical, and emotional state after the accident. All of this can be used as evidence if you pursue a personal injury claim against the truck driver.
5. Contact a truck accident lawyer. You’re already dealing with so much but you deserve the best chance of recovering damages for your injuries. That’s why it’s so important to consult with a truck accident attorney as soon as possible. This way, you can begin the process of collecting evidence and gathering information and you can ensure that you file your lawsuit within the required time period (statute of limitations).
The Attorneys at Ceja Law Firm Help Those in Houston Who Have Been Injured in a Wide-turn Truck Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a wide-turn truck accident due to the recklessness or negligence of another, it’s vital that you understand to what you are entitled under the law. With this information under your belt, you can make the important decisions regarding how you want to move forward. That’s why it’s in your best interest to consult with a knowledgeable and experienced Texas personal injury attorney.
At Ceja Law Firm PLLC, we understand the impact that an accident can have on many parts of your life and the importance of properly dealing with such negligence or recklessness. That’s why we will work to get you the compensation that you deserve. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!