A car accident victim’s life can change in a matter of a few seconds. Many car accident injuries can occur, from a debilitating whiplash injury to a severe traumatic brain injury. Many car accident victims need to take time off of work to recover from their injuries, making it difficult, if not impossible, to pay their mounting medical bills.
Discuss Your Case With an Award-Winning Personal Injury Lawyer
Have you been injured in a Texas car accident that wasn’t your fault? If so, you may be entitled to compensation. Under Texas law, personal injury accident victims have a right to bring a lawsuit against the person or company who caused their injuries. The skilled personal injury lawyers at Ceja Law Firm PLLC are ready to review your case and advocate for you. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation to learn more about our personal injury law firm.
Injuries Commonly Caused in Texas Car Accidents
Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from scrapes and bruises to life-altering spinal cord injuries. Even when an accident doesn’t seem serious, the passenger and driver can still face serious injuries. An unexpected accident can cause painful injuries that impact a victim for weeks or even years to come. Some of the most common types of car accident injuries include the following:
- scrapes and cuts
- broken bones, including broken ribs
- head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- other broken bones
- internal bleeding
- internal organ damage
- knee trauma
- post-traumatic stress disorder
Our Car Accident Lawyers Will Handle Every Aspect of Your Claim
Trying to deal with insurance company adjusters and medical bills while you’re recovering from a serious injury can seem impossible. Once you’ve been injured, your focus should be on your physical and mental recovery, not stressing over how to pay your medical bills. Even though your case may seem straightforward, navigating the insurance claims process and determining the best way to obtain total compensation for your injuries can be overwhelming.
You need someone in your corner who knows what it will take to get real results. Let the lawyers at Ceja Law Firm PLLC take control. Our car accident lawyers have the experience and knowledge necessary to deal with every detail related to your car accident claim. You can concentrate on getting better while we investigate your claim, and negotiate a fair settlement agreement or court verdict. We will fight hard to bring you the largest payout possible in your case. We work on a contingency basis, so you will not have to pay us until we obtain compensation for you.
What To Do After a Car Accident in Houston
If you’ve been involved in a Houston car accident, the most important thing you should do is receive a thorough medical evaluation. Even if you think your injuries are not that serious, we recommend going to your doctor to be evaluated. Not only will this help you receive the medical care you need, but it will also help you prove that the car accident caused your injuries. Be honest with your doctor about the pain your injuries are causing you. Follow up with your doctor’s orders and make sure you attend any specialist appointments they recommend. Taking her medical care seriously will help you protect your legal right to compensation.
After requesting police officers and medical responders to come to the car accident scene, you can try to gather evidence. If you can do so safely, take pictures of the vehicles involved, any tire marks on the road, and your injuries. Write down the contact information of everyone involved in the car accident and any witnesses to the accident. Do not admit fault or discuss the case with anyone after providing a statement to the police. If you are unable to move, try to call 911 and wait for emergency medical personnel.
The Average Car Accident Settlement in Texas
If you’ve been injured, you are probably wondering how much your case is worth. The amount of compensation you can recover after a car accident depends on the details of your unique case. The overall impact the crash has had on your life and the severity of your injuries will determine the amount of damages you may receive.
If you’re curious about the value of your car accident claim, the best thing you can do is discuss your case with a lawyer. At Ceja Law Firm PLLC, our legal team works with financial experts to determine a fair and accurate evaluation for our clients’ cases. We will help you out of all of the expenses you’ve incurred due to the car accident so we can advocate for you to receive the compensation you deserve.
We offer our clients a free initial consultation to discuss their case with us without the financial pressure of paying for the session. Our lawyers have extensive experience representing clients in car accident cases and know how to value claims properly. Under Texas law, successful plaintiffs in personal injury lawsuits are entitled to the following types of damages:
- past and future medical expenses
- lost wages
- loss of earning capacity
- replacement services
- pain and suffering
Is Houston a No-Fault State?
No, Houston is not a no-fault state. In fact, no-fault insurance laws pertain to a different type of insurance system, and they are not applicable in the state of Texas, including Houston. Instead, Texas follows a traditional fault-based system for handling auto insurance claims.
Here are some key points to understand about auto insurance in Texas:
- Fault-Based System: Texas operates under a fault-based or “tort” system, which means that the party responsible for causing an accident is also responsible for covering the resulting damages, including medical expenses and vehicle repair costs.
- Liability Insurance: Texas law requires all drivers to carry liability insurance to cover the costs of injuries and damages they may cause to others in an accident.
- No-Fault vs. Fault States: In contrast to no-fault states, where each party’s insurance pays for their own injuries and damages regardless of fault, Texas assigns responsibility based on who is at fault in an accident.
- Optional Coverage: While liability insurance is mandatory, drivers in Texas also have the option to purchase additional coverage such as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which can provide additional financial protection in case of an accident.
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Car Accident Claim in Texas?
Settling a car accident claim in Texas can vary in duration depending on several factors, making it difficult to provide an exact timeframe. However, here are some key points to consider when estimating how long the process might take:
- Complexity of the Case: Simple cases with clear liability and minimal injuries may be resolved more quickly, often within a few weeks to a couple of months. Complex cases involving severe injuries or disputed liability can take significantly longer, potentially extending to several months or even years.
- Insurance Companies: The responsiveness and efficiency of the involved insurance companies play a crucial role. Some insurers process claims more swiftly than others, which can impact the timeline.
- Investigation: Insurance companies typically conduct investigations to determine liability and assess damages. This can take time, especially if there are disputes or questions about the accident.
- Medical Treatment: If you or the other party involved in the accident require medical treatment, the duration of the claim may depend on the length of treatment and recovery. Insurance companies often wait until your treatment has concluded before settling to ensure all medical expenses are accounted for.
- Negotiations: Negotiations between parties, their attorneys, and the insurance adjusters can also affect the timeline. Some claims are resolved through negotiation, while others may require legal action, which can extend the process.
In summary, the time to settle a car accident claim in Texas depends on various factors, some of which are completely out of the control of the victim. However, consultation with an attorney can help navigate the process effectively.
Consult With a Houston Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve suffered injuries in a Houston car accident, the best way to get compensation is to work with a skilled lawyer on your personal injury claim. The lawyers at Ceja Law Firm PLLC will help you carefully document your injuries, gather evidence, and seek the financial compensation that will help you get the medical treatment you deserve.
Being involved in a car accident is never easy. One of our experienced lawyers will evaluate your claim and take all of the necessary steps to respond in the best way possible. Contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation.
Ceja Law Firm PLLC helps clients with car accident cases throughout Harris County and the Greater Houston Area including Pasadena, Baytown, Sugar Land, Bellaire, Galveston, Texas City, Jacinto City, and more.