As October 31st approaches, children everywhere are preparing to dress up and collect their favorite candy. Halloween is supposed to be a night full of fun – and it should be. However, it’s also one of the most dangerous nights of the year. It’s important to ensure the safety of you and your children. Luckily, there are steps that you can take to protect yourself and your children this Halloween.
Common Halloween Accidents
October is the second-deadliest month of the year next to July. This is because there is a lot that can (and does) go wrong on the spooky holiday. Some of the most common accidents that occur on Halloween include:
- Pedestrian Accidents – The number of pedestrian accidents increases on Halloween. This is likely because many children walk alone and many more people take to the streets.
- Drunk Driving Accidents – For many adults, Halloween parties are the source of a lot of alcohol. Sadly, many people drink and get behind the wheel, leading to accidents, injuries, and sometimes even fatalities.
- Slip and Fall Accidents – Halloween weather is never predictable. It could include a lot of rain, causing sidewalks to become slippery. Additionally, long costumes or those that are difficult to walk in cause trick-or-treaters to slip and fall.
- Burn Injuries – Due to decorations and malfunctioning costumes, burn injuries are also fairly common on Halloween.
Halloween Safety Tips
The following things can help to prevent and avoid the aforementioned injuries.
- Always ensure you and your kids have a working flashlight or reflective tape
- Always accompany young children who are trick-or-treating
- Be sure that your kids wait to eat their candy until you can inspect it
- Never look at your phone or other devices while you are walking (the same goes for your kids)
- Don’t wear masks when possible – or at least not while walking
- Always make sure that costumes, wigs, and accessories are fire-resistant
- Only use non-toxic Halloween makeup
- Never run in the street
- Look both ways before crossing the street
- Enter and exit driveways very slowly
- Never drive after drinking
- Discuss a time that your children should return home from trick-or-treating
The Attorneys at Ceja Law Firm Help Those in Houston Who Have Been Injured in an Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to the recklessness or negligence of another, it’s vital that you understand to what you are entitled under the law. With this information under your belt, you can make the important decisions regarding how you want to move forward. That’s why it’s in your best interest to consult with a knowledgeable and experienced Texas personal injury attorney.
At Ceja Law Firm PLLC, we understand the impact that an accident can have on many parts of your life and the importance of properly dealing with such negligence or recklessness. That’s why we will work to get you the compensation that you deserve. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!